Hi, I’m Ruben! I am a second-year PhD student at the Computer Graphics and Visualization group at the University of Technology Delft. My interests include geometry processing, computer graphics, and storytelling. I am working on applications of computer graphics for painting analysis. I’m also continuing research that I started in my Master on geometric deep learning, advised by Dr. Klaus Hildebrandt. I’m supervised by Prof. Dr. Elmar Eisemann and Prof. Dr. Joris Dik.
I have gathered experience as a graphic designer and filmmaker during my undergraduate years. You can find some examples of that work on this website. Outside of academia, I enjoy making music, reading and discussing books, watching movies, biking, and playing soccer.
Sidebar painting: Ottmar Elliger, ‘Stilleven met bloemen en vruchten’ (1671), from the Rijksmuseum collection.
[2019 - present] PhD Computer Graphics
- Studying applications of Computer Graphics and Machine Learning to painting analysis, generation, and rendering.
- Studying fundamentals of geometric deep learning.
- Additional responsibilities: lecturing, lab assistance, creating assignments.
- Toolkit: C++, OpenGL, Python, PyTorch, Blender.
[2017 - 2019] MSc Computer Science Cum Laude
- Focus on data science and computer graphics.
- Thesis (grade 9/10) “Harmonic Surface Networks” [PDF download] (Published at SIGGRAPH as a technical paper)
- Toolkit: C++, Python, PyTorch.
[2014 - 2017] BSc Computer Science Cum Laude
- Focus on data science and multimedia.
- Thesis “Automating Valuations for Real-Estate” [PDF download]
[2013 - 2014] Propedeuse Industrial Design Engineering Cum Laude
 Teaching Assistant
- Developed assignments for new datamining and Machine Learning courses.
- Assistance to students during lab sessions.
- Toolkit: Python, Jupyter, NumPy.
 Development Internship
- End-to-end machine learning solution for estimating real-estate value.
- Toolkit: Scala, Apache Kafka.
[2012 - present] Video producer, graphic designer
Wiersma Brothers, Torchbearers International, freelance
- Wiersma Brothers: founder, producing video’s and short films.
- Torchbearers International: creative director and web development. View samples of my work.
- Freelance work in graphic design and web development.
- Back-end developer for websites and and business administration webapps.
[2020 - present] Committee member
SIGGRAPH research and career development committee
- Organizing conference coffee event (social event) at SIGGRAPH ‘21.
- Media support for SIGGRAPH Thesis Fast Forward ‘21.
- Creating and maintaining committee website.
[2020 - present] Reviewer
ACM Transactions on Graphics, Pacific Graphics
[2013 - 2019] Committee member, committee chair
C.S.R. Delft (student association)
- Researched and advised on the association leadership election reform.
- Organised festivities for society anniversary (> 200 participants).
- Produced several narrative short films and an anniversary book.
- Organized academic debates and hosted lectures (20-200 audience members).
[2014 - 2017] Restaurant staff manager, PR
Happietaria, Hartige Samaritaan
Pop-up restaurant for charity lasting one month. Hartige Samaritaan was set up together with Refugees.
- Managed the restaurant staff for the Happietaria (November 2014).
- Together with all the volunteers for Happietaria, raised €78.913.
- Communications manager for Hartige Samaritaan (February 2017).